Key Root for this column
Latin: cand- and cend-, "glowing or iridescent," candere, "to be white or glisten," candidus, "white."
Latin: cingere, cinctus, "to gird or tuck in."
Words and Phrases List
candid, candidate, candle, candor, incandescent, incendiary, incense, succinct
Thoughts for Today
- Is it always a good thing to be candid about your feelings? Why?
- What are the occasions when it is better not to be?
- Who are the major practitioners of candid evasion today?
- How best to respond to it?
- How do succinctness and candor enter into your evaluation of a politician?