The Key Root for this column: Latin in, "in" and vestgare, "to track" from vestigium, "footprints or trace"
French pied, "foot" (Latin, pes, pedis, "foot")
Minor Roots: French, de grue "of the crane"
Words and Phrases List
investigate, investigation, investigative, investigator, investigatory, vestige, vestigial, centipede, impede, pedal, pedestrian pedigree, birds of a feather, for the birds
Thoughts for Today
- What is the most interesting aspect of your family tree?
- Why is it important to know something about your family background and heritage?
- How can you best use that information? Misuse it?
- Do you practice the old adage of birds of a feather flocking together? Is that a good thing? Bad thing? Or nothing at all?
- What do you mean when you describe someone or something as being "for the birds?"