The Key Root for this column: Latin pater, patr–, "father," patronus, a "support," "guardian," or "protector."
Words and Phrases List
father, fatherhood, fatherland, compadre, compatriot, expatriate, padre, paternity, paternal, paternalistic, paternalism, patriot, patriotic, patrician, patron, patronage, patronize, pattern, repatriate
Thoughts for Today
- What makes for a good father?
- What makes for a patriot? What do we mean when we say that patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel?
- What's wrong with being paternalistic?
- Who is the most patronizing person you know? What makes him/her so annoying?
- How do you compare being paternal with being maternal?