The Key Root for this column: Latin, spondere, spons–, "to pledge, or vow"
Minor Roots: Old English weddian, from the Germanic base of Scots wed "a pledge" related to Latin vas "surety."
Words and Phrases List
Correspond, correspondence, despond, despondent, despondency, espouse, respond, response, responsibility, responsible, irresponsibility, irresponsibleness, sponsor, spouse
Thoughts for Today
- What does it mean to respond to another person?
- What makes you a responsible person?
- What things make you despondent?
- Has anyone sponsored you or your work?
- When and how is marriage a responsible course of action?