The Key Root for this column: Greek orth "right" or "straight." and doxa, from dokein, "to suppose," or "appear to be," an "opinion" or "tenet."
Minor Root: Italian cialare, "to chatter"
Words and Phrases List
charlatan, orthodontist, orthodox, orthodoxy, unorthodox
dogma, dogmatic, dogmatism, doxology, heterodox, orthodox, paradox
chatter, quacksalvers, quacks
Thoughts for Today
- Consider the difference between an "opinion" and a "fact."
- Why do people have so many problems distinguishing between the two?
- List some of the things about which you are most dogmatic.
- Look up "truthiness." Discuss.
- Where is your most trustworthy source when looking for the "facts?"