The Key Root for this column: None
Minor Root: Latin, tonsorius, "of or pertaining to shearing or shaving," from tonsor, clipper, from tonsus, past participle of tondere, "to shear"
Words and Phrases List
sawbones, tonsorial, phlebotomy
Thoughts for Today
- Are surgeons more important than barbers?
- Is their past connection of any particular significance?
- What are your expectations when you visit a surgeon for a consultation?
- What's most interesting about the history of the barber pole?
- Blood-letting was once a major feature of medical treatment. What, if anything does its popularity and ultimate demise tell you?