The Key Root for this column:
Greek basis, a "step" or "stepping stone," "foot," or "base."
Latin fundus, "bottom," and fundare, "to base firmly"
Words and Phrases List
Basic, base, debase
-found, foundation, fund, fundamental, fundament, profound, profundity
Thoughts for Today
- What are the basics of a good education?
- Schools always talk about returning to basics. What do they mean by that? Have they ever left? If so, what has replaced them?
- How do your teachers stress the fundamentals? Do you know a better way?
- What are some of the fundamental things in which you believe?
- What most threatens your fundamental beliefs? How do you react to those threats?