The Key Root for this column:
Latin studere, "to be zealous or eager," hence "dedication."
Latin, pupus, from the Latin for "boy," pupa, for a "girl." The diminutive ending illus(a), making things, "little."
Words and Phrases List
Study, student, studious,
Pupil, apple of one's eye.
Thoughts for Today
- What makes for a good student? Are you one? If not, why not?
- What do you think is the impression your teacher has of you? Is it accurate?
- Has that impression colored how the teacher treats you, evaluates you?
- Does your teacher favor one kind of student over another? If so, what are the criteria for that favoritism?
- What would it take for your teacher to think better of you? What, if anything, is keeping you from taking the necessary steps to do so?