The Key Root for this column:
Greek, schëma, "plan"
Latin, rota "wheel"
Greek skhole, "lecture," or "discussion."
Words and Phrases List
Rotatable, rotate, rotation, rote, rotor, rotund, rotunda, round
School, scholastic, scholar, scholarly
Grill and drill
Thoughts for Today
- What is rote learning? What is its upside? Its downside?
- How would you describe your school? Is it a place of leisure; does it encourage thought, creativity? How might it better do so?
- What schemes does your school employ to encourage learning? How effective are they?
- What is scholarship? What does it take to be a good scholar?
- Do you consider yourself a scholar? If not, why not?