The Key Root for this column: Latin, cand- and cend-, "glowing or iridescent; candere, "to be white or glisten," candidus, "white,"
Minor Root: Latin cingere, cinctus, "to gird or tuck in,"
Words and Phrases List
candid, candidate, candle, candor, incandescent, incendiary, incense, succinct
Thoughts for Today
- Is it always a good thing to be candid about your feelings? What about the value of being succinct?
- When is it important to be so; when not?
- Give an example of an incendiary remark
- How best to respond to it?
- What do you think is the relationship between most candidates for public office and candor?